Monday, July 9, 2012

"After You've Done All You Can"

Pastor Donnie McClurkin made a song some years ago called, "Stand."  And here are some of the words to that awesome and incredible song.

What do you do.
When you've done all you can, and it seems like it's never enough.
And what do you say when your friends turn away, and you're all alone.
Tell me what do you give,
When you've given your all and it seems like you can't make it through,
Well you just stand, when there's nothing else to do,
You just stand, watch the Lord see you through,
Yes after you've done all you can, you just stand.

These words resonate in our hearts all to often, and all too true.  We try to help people, thinking that we are making some headway.  We take on the responsibility of their spiritual and natural care, even going as far as to help them pay some of their bills, providing meals and transportation, a home, even employing them, thinking that "If only I could do more or pray hard enough just to reach them, then surely I can make an impact in their lives, and change their lives forever. I can make a difference."  Only to find out after you've poured yourself in, that perhaps you were'nt as necessary and important to their overall wellbeing as you had hoped or expected.  You were just, convenient.  Then you begin to feel just a little bit used and angry because you have poured your very heart and soul out into that person.  You've fasted and prayed and sought the Lord on their behalf, and shared the saving truth of God's word with them every oportunity that you got, even stayed up with them countless nights and helped them as they fought one demon or another, and yet nothing seems to have worked. They should be growing and increasing.  They should be a lot further along than they are right now, but their not.  They just seem to be moving further and further away from the truth.  So, what do you do now? 

You just stand.

Stand on what you know is true, honest, just, pure, Holy and right; stand on the Word of God.  He alone can keep you from falling or stumbling because of the inconveniences we MUST endure for the sake of the call.  He alone can rise us up above ourselves and our feelings of hurt, that we really should not be having anyway if it was truly God that instructed us to help in the first place.  We must continue to be strong, and stop beating ourselves up because we think we failed.  We did our jobs.  We planted, or watered, or poured in, or nurtured, but it is only God who can and will give the increase.  So whether it be a family member, a child, friend, a boss, a co-worker, a leader, or a stranger on the street, as Pastor Donnie McClurkin said, after you've done all you can, you just stand.

Now, tell us what you think, or, how you've had to stand.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big blogger, but this topic pertains to a lot that I have gone through for about 3 yrs now & I feel compelled share. Around 2004, a close family member of mine was in need of some help & asked if they could get a credit card in my name. I was only 19 at the time, but trusted this person to make the payments & everything so I said yes. Well after a while, the card was at its limit & this person asked if they could get another 2 transfer the balance. Of course, being young & completely trusting this person I said yes. Long story short, by the time I was 24, I had accumulated over $17,000 in credit card debt due to all of this. My family member had been laid off from their job & the burden fell on me. It has been hard & very frustrating for me when I think about how I could have better used my money & how I wish I was more wiser than to let this happen to me. I've asked God plenty times "Why did this happen to me?" Why would someone I love do that to me when I tried to help? I still don't know the reason, but the Lord has helped & is helping me continue to stand. I have had to sit out plenty events with my friends, had to stay home longer when I was ready to move out, defer my student loans just to have a little money for myself & sometimes I just had to cry. But I can say that even though it has been hard, I have not missed a payment & all my bills have been paid & yet being paid on time. The Lord has been my strength through this & he has blessed me with a wonderful man, who will soon be my husband, to help keep me encouraged & uplifted. I'm 27 now & it has been 3 long yrs, but that $17,000 is now down to $4,800 & it keeps getting smaller!!! I'm still helping this family member & now I'm preparing to get married as well. So I know that the Lord will continue to help me & provide for my new family :-) so I have had to stand & still standing. But I know that it's only because of my Lord & savior Jesus Christ that I have been able to. So I hope my testimony encourages someone else to keep standing.

Anonymous said...

I thought that I was a good friend to someone. I was strong in some areas and she was strong in other areas. I thought that she loved and cared about me for who I was. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. For her own reasons, she has moved on. She now has a new friend. I was confused, angry, and hurt. At times I miss her friendship. However, I had to cast my cares to the Lord. He has helped me to forgive and to continue to love her. Best of all, I have the love of God that no human love can compare.

Anonymous said...

God requires us to help others, but that is not the kind of help he wants us to give to someone. If it is above your means to give then you have no business giving it. The bible calls it usury. When you open yourself up to it you will surly be disappointed in the results. No matter how well you know a person you are to provide only what you can afford to give and nothing more. They need to repent to you for that transgression, but if they never do you still need to forgive them. Chalk it up for a lesson learned.

VonnieG.