Tuesday, June 26, 2012

"Count Your Blessings!"

I was recently in an automobile accident, my daughter and I, which in all my many years of driving has never happened to me, thank God.  She's fine by the way.  After the initial shock of the impact I thought I was fine, but the next day things begin to happen that I had not expected to occur.  It's as if your entire body absorbs the impact, but after things begin to settle in your body parts, begin to hurt that you never even realized that you had.  Things begin to rattle and to click and clank a little louder than you ever remember hearing them before.  I won't go into all the specifics of that grueling, tying, scary day, just know this, I hurt.  The police officer that took the police report looked at the car and actually said she was truly amazed that I was standing next to her, and was not in the hospital at that very moment.  I told her that I was praising God for that, she said, "You should be, because the way this car looks it was a very hard hit, and you should be in the hospital,"  and she turned and walked away after telling me to have a better day.

Four days later I had a birthday, "Happy Birthday To Me," and it was then while I was opening my presents thoughtfully chosen just for me by my loved ones, that I begin to truly realize how very blessed I'am, just for having my life, my relative health and strength.  People kept asking me how I felt having another birthday, my reply to them after careful consideration was, "I Feel Blessed, Just To Be Alive."  And I do. 

After something like that, you don't really realize how blessed you are until late at night, when the lights are out, and your eyes are closed, and you continue to see the vehicle that hit you coming straight at you over and over again in your mind.  You feel the impact as it hits you as it did before.  And you jump out of sleep just as the impact comes.  Heart pounding rapidly.  Pulse racing.  Head throbbing.  Calling out that one name that is above all others names, that alone can save you, "JESUS!"  When you realize that you are lying in your bed beside that one who gently turns and wraps their arms around you, letting you know with unspoken words, "I've got you.  You're safe now."  It is then that you truly begin to realize just how blessed you are.  I've learned a valuable lesson during this time.  Count your blessings every day.  Consider every day as a brand new blessing.  A new day of "Given Life."  And as you begin to count your blessings, you will be surprised to realize that things are not as bad as they may seem to be.  And you will be encouraged at what God has already done in your life.  Seize every opportunity that is put before you everyday with eagerness, energy and excitement.  Stop whinning and complaining and blaming everyone for why you dont have or have not become.  YOU make things happen for YOU.  You may not have everything you want, or be what you are reaching out to be yet, but Stuff, you can always replace, but a life can never be replaced.  Now, it's time for healing.

Now, tell us what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Also being in an accident last year, I understand your pain, relief, and grateful heart. I appreciate life and the importance of friends and loved ones in my life. I make a point to not only tell them, but show them that I love them. It's important not to compare yourself to the life of someone else, but to continually be thankful for what God has given you and to celebrate each blessing that God has provided you.