Monday, April 30, 2012

"What would YOU do?" For Real?

This is an awesome question. Because here's where were going with this. Every few days, somebody wins a huge jackpot in one of the States many lotteries. I'm talking literally millions of dollars. Why then, do we still have so many people around us that are lacking, poor, destitute, about to lose their homes, cars just gotten taken from them, when all it would have taken was a few hundred dollars to save it or them. People walking around stealing food. Why? Could it be, that in our quest to become rich and famous, or just plain old filthy stinking rich, that we have forgotten the most basic of principals, which is to love our brother and our neighbor as we love ourselves? 1 person who has won one of these mega jackpots could take less than $500 thousand dollars out of the hundreds and millions that they have won, and reach out and help get someone else out of debt. Not only that, but if you pay off their debt, let it be a criteria that they first agree to take a finance class on debt free living, and how to stay debt free. The average american is probably less that $50,000 dollars in debt. You could akee 10 people debt free, and still had more than enough for you and your family to live overly comfortable on for the rest of your entire days, and your childrens days. But many of us have become so selfish and self indulgent, that we have completly forgotten to help someone else along the way. To touch somebodies life as we pass their way. But we are too busy buying 5 cars, of which we can only drive 1 at a time. Or 3 houses around the world, of which we can only live in 1 at a time. or 50,000 toilet seats, or $150,000 vases, and pointless statues. Everything stupid and rediculous that we have ever dreamed of, until we have foolishly exausted our wealth. I watched it on television one day. And it completly sickened me. People that had won millions, were broke again. And it didn't even take that long for it to happen. We only seem to end up right back where we started. Which Nothing. REALLY?

This world is made up of laws. You may know some of them. The law of gravity; "What goes up, must come down." Newtons 3rd. Law; an object that is at rest will stay at rest, unless an unbalanced force acts upon it. The laws of supply and demand. When the demand is high, the supply is low. And of course the law of Resiprosity; or in laymans terms, giving and receiving. You will get back, what you give out. Or, you will reap, what you sow. I have found this to be so true. I used to give out clothes to EVERYONE. Great big giant bags of new or gently used clothing. No sooner than I had given them out, either I would get a call saying, "Hey, I got some clothes for your kids. Some are new, some are gently used." Wow! EVERYTIME. So I stopped giving out clothes, and started trying to give out as much money as I could, in whatever amounts that I could, whenever I could. I would turn around not less than a day, and someone would put some money in my hand, or a card with money in it, or I would get an unexpected check in the mail. It really and truly works. Try it.

Well watch this. We are not gready or selfish people, so once our basic needs have been met, when money like that comes into our hands, after paying off basic nessesities of course, my tithes, my debts, my house, my car, childrens education, mom and dad and grandparents, giving to the church, our spiritual covering. The next thing I would do is reach out and get at least 10-20 more people out of debt, and teach them how to stay out of debt. I would also bless people anonymously. Small and large sums of money. I would contribute to the homeless shelters, making sure that the people who are downtown and around town at least had a good meal to eat. Because many of them have developed fears of coming into the food centers, or being around crowds of people. I would build a real homeless people bath house somewhere in the inner city, where the homeless could come and take a hot shower, get some clean clothes, maybe a hot meal, and be sent on their way. I would hire a loving staff that would have a heart for helping people, who would not ostrisize them or put them down, but would lovingly help them restore a little bit of their dignity and help them to know that they ARE important. Even though they may have momentarily lost their way, they are still loved, they do matter, and we do care.
There are honestly so many things that I would like to do. But enough about me, and this is by no means advocating for or suggesting that anyone go out and play the lottery.  But you never know WHAT God is going to do.  He may have someone win a multi million dollar settlement, and remember you.  It could happen.  If that happens, and it can, what would you do?

Now, tell me what YOU would do,

No comments: